Monday, January 25, 2021

Do We Want to Win the Covid Battle?

     On Saturday, 2/23, I was among 856 people who received our first Pfizer shots at a clinic that day in New Bern. It was a commendable and highly efficient operation with the help of cordial volunteers. I’ve had no side effects and have full confidence in the experts who’ve told us this is one of the most safe and effective vaccines ever developed, with a near 100% protection record. The research and test results are online for all to see. I encourage everyone to take a vaccine as soon as one is available to them.

     Meanwhile, according to a recent study by the University of Southern California, only 50% of people across America are masking up and distancing, even after being advised repeatedly by experts such as Dr. Fauci for a year now that masks are the best weapon we have to fight this common enemy that is killing so many thousands of us. We also know that masking has worked very well in other countries.

     One American is now dying every 22 seconds. A drive around my hometown of New Bern revealed that people are certainly doing no better than average at mask wearing, and by all appearances are doing much worse. It seems such a simple thing to do to save our own lives and the lives of other Americans, an easy commonsense preventive measure. No more political than mandated restaurant sanitation inspections or washing one’s hands after handling some harmful substance or taking prescribed preventive medicines on a doctor's orders or wearing glasses to avoid bumping into things.

     A nurse friend at our local hospital told me, “I’ve seen so much tragedy over the past year. I wish the news channels would show several patients, with their identities concealed, fighting for their lives in the hospital, so people could see how badly they suffer. Maybe that would change some minds.”

     Mask wearing is a bold statement that you care about your family, your friends, and your neighbors. It can help save your life and the lives of others. It can help us win the battle against this common enemy.

Phil Bowie, author

www.philbowie.com See the popular NC suspense series on Amazon or my website.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on masking, but I also know people who say they can't breathe with a mask on. Like you, I had my first covid vaccine shot recently. I hope and pray our country survives the pandemic. As a former scientist, we had an extensive protocol for glassware washing. Soap and water was first, then soaking in acid, then rinsing 7 times with distilled water, then an acetone rinse, followed by another distilled water rinse. Coming from that mindset, I had no trouble with the concept of mask-wearing, lots of handwashing, and carrying hand sanitizer in my pocket, my car, my purse... To me, not wearing a mask is a bit like Russian Roulette. No thank you. I'm going by the book on this health crisis.

    ReplyDelete