Monday, May 29, 2017

How many does it take?

Ever since I became old enough to begin understanding the wonderful ways of nature, I’ve believed that sexual activity was, by definition and by exhaustive successful test results over many generations, an evolution-developed means of perpetuating the diverse species of animals that populate our planet, and also in perpetuating our own homo sapiens species (homo being the human genus and H. sapiens being the only surviving species of the genus homo).  Two sexes have always been required and sufficient since our species first emerged many thousands of years ago.  Male (M) and Female (F).  I assume most of us are pretty sure how this works.

Imagine my perplexity in realizing over recent years that carrying on our species apparently now requires eight sexes.
 
Count ’em:  M, F, L, G, B, T, Q, and I.  (I won’t even get into the myriad possible combinations thereof.)

Phil





No comments:

Post a Comment